Thursday, March 7, 2013

Melting


Instead of shooting things that were actually melting (because there really wasn't anything melting anyway) I decided to shoot pictures of what happens when snow starts to melt.

One drop at a time
Tapping trees

 When the snow starts to melt and the temperature starts to rise, the maple trees start to run. Not literally run, but run sap, as you can see in the picture at the top. I took these two pictures because I was asked to document the sap season for the man on the left in the picture to the right. These two in particular were neat because I managed to catch both Dan and Dj doing something, and the start of a drop of sap. I turned the picture of the tap black and white since there was hardly any color in the original picture.



Resting

As the snow melts our beef cows being to calve.   These two pictures our of the first calf of this season. Her name is Elena, and her mothers name is Erica. The first picture is of her resting after her first whole day outside with her mom. The second is of her mother protecting her in the stall. I loved how Erica's belly and leg created a natural frame for the picture. I really wish these pictures had come out more clear and light. Seeing as I took these in the barn at night of a black calf made these pictures rather hard to take.
 
Safe and Sound










1 comment:

  1. A different take on the melting theme...good ideas. The tap is almost an abstract composition.

    ReplyDelete